Saturday, March 7, 2009

It Is Good To Be Here

Most people who stumble on this particular blog will be particularly
unimpressed. And that's O.K., because all I needed was a resting 
place to hold some of my pocket notes. Not the stuff that I need to 
file---but the kind of stuff that will be rather hard to retrieve when 
I want to share it with someone. 
I called this Blogg-trail "Sam's Game" because I wondered what 
possessed someone like Sam Zell to buy into a corporate entity like 
the Tribune Company. I originally thought that the article written 
by William Powers for the Spring 2005 issue of 
The Wilson Quarterly Magazine might have 
been the kind of thing that Sam Zell could 
have kept with his pocket notes. 
As a country cousin of one of the Tribune's past editors, I have
always had a soft spot for the Tribune and it's allied papers. 
The TV stations---eh. 
Tribune online and syndicate people have proven to be very alert 
and responsive to the contacts that I have had with them. 
During the past few years the folks in upper management 
appeared to be very insulated from contemporary media culture. 
Some how, I can not help but feel, that if The Tribune could
actually be organized as an employee run media company 
there might be a vital heart pumping there. 
The kind of heart that could provide enough 
oxygen to feed the brain enough to actually 
figure out complex issues like surviving 
bankruptcy and developing an equitable 
scheme for Tribune Tower car parking. 
Good luck on that.

No comments: